Sunday, May 15, 2011

snake for science...



it was an average monday morning. that is, until sam ran into the house announcing the presence of a six foot bull snake near the swing set. now, bull snakes are not poisonous, but they are really, really big. all snakes bite and bull snakes even rattle just like a rattle snake when threatened.

a few weeks ago, i saw a large mound in the open space just feet away from the sand box and the swing set. a snake's nest for sure. not something we really wanted to deal with so close to the littles. but, if this was the resident of the local nest, i was just thankful that it wasn't a rattlesnake!


so, after a few minutes deliberation, we decided to "deal" with the snake. sam + shovel + snake = a monday morning science project! i printed out a snake dissection guide, the middles grabbed tweezers and scissors and audrey squatted down poking the snake with a stick to make sure it was "dissection ready". grizz was still feeling under attack and kept trying bite at the snake and shake it. he was so sweet in his concern for us. plus, i think he thought it would make a fantastic chew toy.

the internal organs of a snake are fascinating. very long and slender and really packed in there efficiently. audrey's one question during dissection was, "why did God make snakes, mom?" good question audge. good question. ew.

2 comments:

Jaimee said...

Lauren, you amaze me!! I go screaming in the other room when I see a spider. I would probably pass out if I saw a snake! You are such an awesome mom! Love it!

Lauren said...

It must be the old bio major in me. Trust me, though, my knees got weak a few times. Liv was in her glory~I think I have a future nurse or doctor on my hands!